BHS Academic Team
The BHS Academic Team is a GWOC sport that highlights students’ academic knowledge in every subject from History and Math to Science and Literature. Students compete in teams of four against teams locally in the GWOC, across the state at regional tournaments and across the country at National tournaments (National History Bowl and NAQT-style competitions). Last year our team qualified for the NAQT National competition but was unable to attend – it was our first year back after a program hiatus and we didn’t realize how great we were going to be! On the other hand, a select team of students did compete in the National History Bee and Bowl placing in the top 12 both individually and as a team. We hope to be back this year!
The most up-to-date info can be found at Coach Madame Spence’s personal webpage: www.bhsateam.weebly.com
Interested in joining the team?
- Listen for the announcements near the beginning of the school year and attend informational meetings.
- Become an expert in at least 2 of the 10 OAC subject areas (American Literature, Math, World History, Fine Arts, Life Science, World Literature, American Government/ Economics, Physical Science, Geography, and American History.)
- Use the NAQT “you gotta know” website to get started
- Search madamespence on Quizlet to have access to other Academic Team quiz practice sets – some of which you can edit when you join the “class”.
- Come and speak with Coach Madame Spence if you have any further questions.
Mondays after school in Madame Spence’s room (0118) from 3:00-4:30.
Practices are ongoing from October through April but are only absolutely necessary for those students wanting to compete on our Varsity Team, which includes more tournaments across the state and the country as we qualify.